Vegan Taro Wholegrain Sponge Cake (Purple Yam) - Creamy & Fragrant! | Delia.v Life
Desserts made with taro or yam is very popular amongst us Asians. If you have been to Taiwan, you would know that they are most well known for using taro to make cakes! The sponge of a delicious taro cake has to be soft and fluffy, while the yam filling must contain a balanced flavour of fresh yam and coconut milk. Yam is one of our favourite starchy vegetables and it is no wonder that this is one of our family's favourite cake so far!
Super simple in composition yet big in taste and texture. The secret to making a good yam filling is in choosing your yam wisely. HAHAHA yes, not all yams are the same. Some are more waxy, some are more floury in texture when cooked. We prefer floury yam as they are more fragrant in general. When picking our yams, we would pick those with a very small head and a big, round body without bruises.
We used minimal sugar in this recipe as we want to let the natural fragrance of yam shine. So of course, if you have a sweet tooth feel free to add more sugar but we find that 30g of sugar for the yam filling hit the right spot for us! Also, we used whole wheat flour in the video to make this vanilla sponge. Despite the use of wholegrain, the sponge remains light and soft which is really amazing! This vanilla sponge recipe is a new and improved version of the previous one we decked out so do give it a try!
35g Potato starch
165g All purpose flour
30g Apple cider vinegar
220g Unsweetened soy milk
140g Raw sugar
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Baking powder
125g Vegetable oil
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1. Line a 8 x 8 inch baking tray with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until well combined.
3. Whisk together the wet ingredients until homogeneous.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just until combined.
5. Pour the batter into the baking tray and bake for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.
6. Cool the cake completely and slice it into half. You will now have 2 slices of rectangular cake.
350g Yam, cut into small cubes
30g Vegan butter/Margarine
30g Raw sugar
60-100g Coconut milk (Depends on how moist is your yam)
1. Steam the cubes of yam until fork tender. About 20 mins.
2. Quickly mash the hot yam using a fork. You can leave small little chunks of yam unmashed for more texture.
3. Add in sugar and butter and continue to mash.
4. Slowly mix in coconut milk until you get a thick but spreadable consistency.
5. Spread the yam cream onto 1 slice of vanilla sponge cake then top with the other slice of vanilla sponge cake.
6. Chill for at least 6 hours. Pipe whipped cream on the cake if desired.