Vegan Sweet Potato Ice Cream (Easy & No Machine Needed!) | Delia.v Life
If you don't know already, we really like our sweet potatoes. After making the Japanese sweet potato cheesecake a few weeks ago, we are already excited about our next sweet potato creation - Purple sweet potato ice cream!
Now, we know that purple sweet potato is not always in season so we decided to use sweet potato powder instead. But you can of course, and preferably, use fresh sweet potato for this recipe! Besides using sweet potatoes, we have also found a new product which we absolutely love and feel that it worked beautifully in this recipe. The KRE Purple Yam and Adlay Cereal Powder called to us when we were perusing along the aisle of Simply Health, an organic shop located along Seng Poh Road in Tiong Bahru.
This cereal powder is a nutritional powerhouse filled with whole grains like adlay, oats, black glutinous rice as well as purple yam and sweet potato. We are in love with the mild nutty flavour that this nutritious powder lends to the purple sweet potato ice cream. We highly recommend this if you are looking to incorporate more whole grains into your diet in creative ways. We have tried blending this in smoothies, mixing in oatmeal and making a purple yam latte out of it. It's super versatile and affordable as well. Many superfood powders cost an arm or a leg but no, not this. At $7.60, is wallet friendly and so delicious!
You can totally skip the cereal mix or substitute with whatever cereal mix you like as well! This creamy gluten free ice cream recipe is super simple and nutritious. It can be made sugar free if you use erythritol which we did. The best part is that you don't need an ice cream maker! Try this simple recipe at home and you will realise how easy it is to make your own delicious ice cream!
250g Unsweetened soy milk
80g Raw sugar/ Erythritol / Coconut sugar
20g Vegan butter/ Margarine
300g Coconut cream full fat
25g Purple sweet potato powder/ 100g Sweet potato puree
2 tbs KRE Purple yam and adlay cereal powder (See notes for substitution) *
1. In a saucepan whisk together milk, cornstarch and sugar until there are no lumps.
2. Heat the saucepan on medium heat while stirring constantly.
3. Once the mixture thickens, turn off the heat immediately and stir in the butter.
4. Chill the custard mixture for 2 hours.
5. Once thoroughly cooled, whisk coconut cream with the chilled custard mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy.
6. Whisk in the sweet potato powder and cereal powder if using.
7. Pour the mixture into a metal tin and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
8. Leave the ice cream out for 10 mins before scooping.
* Substitute cereal powder with equal amount of purple sweet potato powder or another 50g of sweet potato puree.
We hope you like our Vegan Sweet Potato Ice Cream recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!