Vegan Strawberry Rose Mille Crêpe Cake | Delia.v Life
Gâteau Mille Crêpes is a classic French cake that translates to “thousand crêpe cake”. Unless you have been living under a rock, you would have been familiar with Lady M's famous mille crêpe cakes which have taken the world by storm! The traditional recipe for crêpes relies heavily on eggs to create that familiar golden webbed look. But today, we won't be needing any eggs to replicate this classic cake. All we need is a few simple ingredients.
Since Mother's Day is just tomorrow, we decided to make a Strawberry Rose Mille Crêpe Cake. The delicate flavours of rose and strawberry are so feminine and elegant, which suits this special occasion to a tee! We absolutely love the simplicity and fragrance of this Mille Crêpe Cake. Sure, making a Mille Crêpe Cake requires some patience, but trust us when we say it is worth every effort. Making crêpes is an art itself which requires some practice but after a few rounds of swirling the batter on the pan, you will be an expert! We made a 15 layers crêpe cake but if you would like to make a taller cake feel free to double or triple the recipe!
Of course, there are ready-made crêpes available at the supermarket but where is the fun in that? We strongly urge you to try making your own crêpes because it is such an enjoyable and satisfying process! Not to mention a sweet process since you get to taste your yummy creation after that! Furthermore, this cake recipe doesn't require an oven (duh!) so, what are you waiting for? Time to flip some crêpes!
200g White spelt flour/ All purpose flour
40g Raw sugar
1/2 tsp Baking soda
400g Almond milk/ Other non-dairy milk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
200ml Vegan whipping cream/ Coconut cream
1/2 tsp Rose essence
Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
5 Strawberries, thinly sliced plus more for decoration
1. In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar and baking soda together and whisk to combine.
2. Slowly pour in the almond milk and vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.
3. Pass the batter through a strainer to remove any gritty bran and lumps. Ensure that the batter is smooth.
4. Lightly grease a non-stick pan and heat the pan on medium heat.
5. Ladle the batter onto the centre of the pan and quickly swirl to spread the batter evenly.
6. Cook the crêpes until the top looks fairly dry, then flip and cook the other side for another 30 seconds. Transfer the crêpes onto a plate and repeat for the rest of the batter.
7. Place the vanilla seeds, rose essence and whipping cream into a bowl and whip until stiff peaks form.
8. Place a crêpe onto a plate then spread the whipped cream evenly on it. Repeat for another 4 layers.
9. On the 5th layer, place some sliced strawberries on the cream and cover the strawberries with more whipped cream.
10. Continue putting another 5 layers of crêpes and whipped cream. Now, you would have 10 layers of crêpes.
11. On the 10th layer, place some sliced strawberries on the cream and cover the strawberries with more whipped cream.
12. Finish building your crêpe cake with 5 more layers of crêpes and whipped cream.
13. Decorate with strawberries and chill for 2 hours before consuming.
We hope you like our Vegan Strawberry Rose Mille Crêpe recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!