Vegan Japanese Sweet Potato Pound Cake | Delia.v Life
The Japanese sweet potato is our favourite type of sweet potato to bake with due to the fact that they are so sweet, creamy and fragrant that any baked goods made with it will turn out AMAZING.
Recently, we've been seeing lots of these fresh looking tubers at our neighbourhood wet market and were tempted to create something with them. As with all our bakes, we always strive to bring out the natural flavours of the produce we are baking with instead of loading it with lots of flour, sugar and oil. Hence, we created this simple sweet potato pound cake which incorporates sweet potato in the batter, as a mix-in and as topping.
Every bite of this pound cake is filled with the lovely fragrance of Japanese sweet potato, making it so addictive! The moist crumbs of the pound cake combined with the little chunks of sweet potatoes makes this cake a light and comforting tea time treat, which is in our opinion perfect with a cup of tea. If you are looking for something simple yet satisfying this recipe is for you. We hope that you will like this sweet potato pound cake as much as we do!
175g All purpose flour/ White spelt flour
150g Raw sugar/ Coconut sugar/ Erythritol
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
120g Japanese sweet potato steamed and mashed
120g Non-dairy milk
90g Vegetable oil
1 tsp Vanilla extract
150g Steamed sweet potato, finely diced + ~80g for topping
Black sesame seeds as needed
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius and line a 8 x 8 inch baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together and whisk until homogeneous.
3. Whisk the wet ingredients together in another bowl.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
5. Fold in 150g of the diced sweet potato into the batter.
6. Pour the batter into the lined baking tray.
7. Top the batter with the remaining 80g of diced sweet potato and black sesame seeds.
8. Bake for around 40 mins until the top of the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
We hope you like our Vegan Japanese Sweet Potato Pound Cake recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!