Vegan Japanese Matcha Sesame Roll Cake (High Protein) | Delia.v Life
Our most feared cake - The roll cake. We are very happy to announce that we have overcame our fear of this seemingly intimidating cake. If you've ever tried to make a roll cake, you would have known how they are a test of skill. Everything boils down to the sponge. Too much flour? Too much heat? Too much liquid? All you will end up with is pieces of broken sponge when you try to roll it. Frankly speaking, if you are not up to a challenge then this is not the recipe for you. But if you are, then you will be greatly rewarded. When was the last time you had a roll cake? If you have gone vegan for a few years then I bet you haven't had one in a long time. Yes, it will take some practise. Yes, it will take some patience. But also yes, it will all be worth it.
May we present to you... The Vegan Black Sesame Matcha Roll Cake. After rounds of trials, we manage to nail a sponge which will cooperate with some rolling action! This vegan sponge is soft, fluffy and flexible enough to make a roll cake!
To complement this delicious sponge, we made a matcha cream filling as well using protein rich tofu to pack in some protein in your dessert. Sneaky I know, but nope you won't taste the tofu if you use a brand which doesn't have a strong beany taste!
Enough said, try this recipe to make your very own vegan roll cake and be very proud of yourself once you mastered the art of making roll cake!
Matcha Cream Filling
300 gms Tofu
65 gms Melted vegan butter
8g Matcha powder
75 gms Raw sugar/ Coconut sugar
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1. Blend all ingredients on high until smooth and creamy. Set aside in the fridge.
Black Sesame Sponge
180g Unsweetened soy milk
3/4 tsp Apple cider vinegar
115g Non-dairy yogurt
60g Vegetable oil
3/4 tsp Vanilla extract
112g All-purpose flour
45g Black sesame powder
40g Raw sugar
40g Coconut sugar
3/4 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and line a 8 x 8 inch baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, cornstarch, black sesame powder, baking powder, baking soda and sugar together. Discard large pieces of black sesame powder. Whisk until combined
3. Whisk together the milk, apple cider vinegar, oil, yogurt and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just until combined.
5. Pour the batter into the baking tray and bake for 20 mins.
Black sesame sponge
Matcha cream filling
1. Allow the sponge to cool for 5 mins. Then, turn it out onto another baking paper using the base of another baking tray to support the sponge during flipping.
2. Remove the baking paper and replace it with a new sheet. Then, flip the sponge again, such that the top of the sponge is facing you.
3. Pipe the Matcha cream onto the sponge and use a spatula to spread it evenly. Then Pipe some cream in the middle before putting the strawberries. Cover the strawberries completely with more Matcha cream.
4. Carefully, bring both ends of the sponge together, then use a cling wrap to tightly wrap the roll cake. You may need another pair of hands to help you especially if you are doing it for the first time!
5. Chill the roll cake in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving!
6. You can also decorate the cake with some cashew frosting which we used in our Dark Chocolate Pound Cake recipe!
We hope you like our Vegan Japanese Matcha Black Sesame Roll Cake recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!