Vegan Hojicha Black Sesame Cheesecake (Roasted Green Tea) | Delia.v Life
If you don't already know, we love our cheesecakes. However, we were getting bored of those typical flavours in the market. Being a fan of hojicha (roasted green tea) and black sesame, we thought why not add an Asian Japanese touch to this classic Western dessert? Hence, this Hojicha Black Sesame Cheesecake recipe is born! The roasted flavour of hojicha and aromatic black sesame complements the slightly tart and creamy cheesecake perfectly, bringing a hint of novelty to this classic cake!
This recipe is not only loaded with wholesome ingredients like cashews, sweet potato and tofu (so you don't have to feel guilty for having a slice of that 'cheesy' goodness), but also very fuss free! Simply throw all the ingredients together and blend/mix it all up. The key to having that rich, creamy texture of a cheesecake is to ensure that you are blending the batter until it is very smooth and silky.
Well enough said, let's move on to the recipe!
Black Sesame Crust:
50g Spelt flour/ All purpose flour
30g Black sesame powder
45g Raw sugar/ Coconut sugar/ Erythritol
40g Vegetable oil/ Melted Margarine
1tsp Vanilla extract
125g Cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 mins
160g Full fat coconut milk
100g Vegan unsweetened greek style yogurt
125g Cooked japanese sweet potato, peeled
100g Silken firm tofu/ Pressed tofu
75g Raw sugar/Coconut sugar / Erythritol
1 tbs Cornstarch
1/4 tsp Sea salt
3 tbs Hojicha powder
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius and line the bottom of a 6 inch baking tin with baking paper.
2. Mix together spelt flour, sesame powder, sugar and vegetable oil until a dough forms. (if your dough is too dry, add 1 tbs of ice cold water)
3. Press the dough into the bottom of the lined baking tin evenly. Use the bottom of a spoon to help you if required.
4. Place the prepared cheesecake crust in the fridge while you make the filling.
5. Place the remaining ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
6. Pour the mixture onto the chilled black sesame base and tap the tin against the table top a few times to get rid of some air bubbles.
7. This cake is baked using the water bath method. Place the cake pan with the batter in a large, shallow pan partially filled with warm water.
8. Bake the cake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely in the water bath then chill overnight. Decorate with whipped cream or our custard cream if desired.
We hope you like our Hojicha Black Sesame Cheesecake recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!