Vegan Black Glutinous Rice Cupcakes - Pulut Hitam + Gula Melaka | Delia.v Life
Burbur pulut hitam is a local dessert in Sunny Singapore made with black rice and coconut milk. If you are a fan of this dessert, then you are gonna love these cupcakes! Moist, fragrant with a slight chewiness, these are amazing on its own! But we decided to bring it up a notch with Gula Melaka frosting and some toasted coconut flakes to make them absolutely perfect! Popular with young and old, these cupcakes are crowd pleasers!
It took us a few tries to get the cupcake right as baking with black glutinous rice flour can be quite a finicky affair. The trick we learnt, is to let the batter rest for 20 mins before baking so that the rice flour absorbs the moisture in the batter producing cupcakes with moist and fine crumbs! Some of you may be wondering where to buy black rice flour...
If you are residing in Singapore you can get them from Phoon Huat or Bake King. Otherwise, simply grind your own black rice flour from whole black rice! Be sure to sift them through a fine sift to ensure that there are no large pieces of rice which will cause the cupcakes to collapse!
Pulut Hitam Cupcakes:
40g Vegan butter/ Margarine
60g Raw sugar
40g Non-dairy yogurt
90g Light coconut milk
15g Vegetable oil
50g Black rice flour
75g All purpose flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking powder
1. In a bowl, whisk together vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add in yogurt and oil. Whisk until homogeneous.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients into that same bowl.
4. Add in 30g of the coconut milk. Whisk just until combined.
5. Add in another 30g of coconut milk and whisk again. Then, add in the last 30g of coconut milk and whisk just until combined. Do not overmix.
6. Let the batter rest for 20 mins. (This step will allow the rice flour to absorb the coconut milk producing moist and soft cupcakes)
7. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celcius and prepare 12 mini cupcake liners.
8. Scoop the batter into the mini cupcake liners until 3/4 filled. Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Gula Melaka Frosting:
60g Gula melaka, chopped
100g Oat milk
200g Full fat coconut milk
1g Agar powder
1. In a cup, whisk oat milk with cornstarch and agar powder until they are well dissolved.
2. Add in coconut milk and whisk until well combined.
3. In a saucepan, stir together the gula melaka and milk mixture to dissolve some of the gula melaka.
4. Heat the saucepan on medium heat while stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
5. Turn off the heat and continue to stir until smooth.
6. Pour the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
7. Blend the mixture in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
8. Pipe on cupcakes.
We hope you like our Gula Melaka Pulut Hitam Cupcake recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!