How To: Vegan Earl Grey Poached Pear Cake | Delia.v Life
If you have not try poaching pears, you are seriously missing out. I am not even kidding. You may think that it is a waste of fresh juicy pears to poach them but, once you have tried poaching them, you may never go back to eating them raw. Sweet, juicy, creamy and flavourful, poached pears are exclusively found in the dessert menu of high end restaurants. You can use spices to flavour the poaching liquid but here we are using earl grey tea leaves. The light yet fragrant earl grey tea perfectly balances the sweetness and creaminess of perfectly poached pears. Being curious bakers, we infused the flavours of earl grey tea leaves and poached pears into a cake with a bucolic feel yet refined taste.
The layers of Vanilla sponge, Earl grey mousse, Cubed poached pears and Poached pear jelly brings the most delectable combination of flavours and textures to your taste buds. Soft vanilla sponge, smooth and fragrant earl grey mousse, perfectly soft and juicy poached pears and light poached pear jelly...the various components come hand in hand together so beautifully, we really hope that you will try it. To all those vegan food haters out there, this has ought to shut them up :P Gone are the days of dry and flavourless vegan cakes which we forcefully scarf down and count our blessings just because it is vegan. This my friend, is where the party is at. They require more effort than the other cake recipes we have, but we really urge you adopt some patience and make this! The poached pears and vanilla sponge can even be done a day ahead for your convenience.
4 Bosch pears, ripe but firm
Zest 1 lemon
150g Raw sugar
4 Earl Grey tea bags
1. Put the lemon zest, sugar, tea bags and water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let the tea bags steep for 5 mins then remove.
2. Peel the pears and chop off their bottoms.
3. Carefully lower the pears into the syrup and simmer gently for 30 mins, or until tender.
4. Remove the pears from the syrup and allow them to cool. Reserve the syrup
5. Core the poached pears and cut them into little cubes. Set aside.
110g All Purpose flour/ Spelt flour
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
80g Raw sugar/ Vanilla sugar
120g Soy milk/ Non-dairy milk
1/2 tbs Apple cider vinegar
45g Vegetable oil
1/2tsp Vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 6 inch baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
3. In another bowl combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set the mixture aside for 5 mins.
4. Add oil and vanilla extract to the mixture and mix.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just until combined.
6. Pour the batter into the baking tray and bake for 25 mins or until golden brown.
Earl Grey Mousse:
250g Oat milk
1g Agar powder
30g Raw sugar
30g Vegan butter/ Margarine
2g Grounded Earl Grey tea leaves
200g Vegan whipping cream
1. In a sauce pan whisk together all the ingredients, EXCEPT vegan butter, eat grey tea leaves and whipping cream.
2. Heat the saucepan on medium heat while stirring constantly.
3. Once thickened, turn of the heat and stir in the vegan butter and earl grey tea leaves until homogeneous.
4. Let the Earl Grey cream cool to room temperature.
5. Whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks then mix in the cooled cream until light and fluffy.
Poached Pear Jelly:
2 tbs reserved Earl Grey syrup
3/4 tsp Agar powder
1. Mix all ingredients until combined and bring to a boil.
2. Let it cool for 5-10 mins
A 6 inch round vanilla sponge cake
Cubed poached pear
Earl Grey mousse
Poached pear jelly
1. Place the sponge cake in the bottom of a 7 inch round baking tin.
2. Spoon a layer of poached pear on the sponge.
3. Cover the pear and sponge with all of the Earl Grey mousse.
4. Top with more poached pear cubes.
5. Pour the jelly over the poached pear cubes.
6. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
We hope you like our Vegan Earl Grey Poached Pear Cake recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!