Best Vegan Pandan Gula Melaka Sponge Cake Recipe | Delia.v Life
Growing up, our parents bought us Bengawan Solo Pandan cake regularly for breakfast, or tea time snack. The soft and fluffy texture alongside the fragrant Pandan aroma makes them truly irresistible. We love to drizzle our pandan cake with Gula Melaka syrup so we thought, why not make a Vegan Pandan Gula Melaka cake?
This is a cake where you should use freshly squeezed pandan juice. None of that artificial pandan paste nonsense you find along the aisle in the supermarkets - you need the real deal! Just blend up some fresh pandan leaves with water and extract the juice by passing it through a fine sieve. That is the secret to the fragrant pandan aroma we are all so familiar with. Gula Melaka cream on Pandan sponge is a no brainer here. The sweet coconut caramel fragrance of the Gula Melaka complements the soft Pandan sponge without being overbearing.
Pandan cake is loved by young and old alike and we have never came across anyone who dislike this fragrant cake. So, if you are looking for a delightful cake to bring to a party (or to impress you in-laws) , this is the cake to bring with you. Don't need to tell anyone that this is a vegan cake and they will be none the wiser;)
Gula Melaka Cream:
250g Coconut milk
75g Gula melaka/ Coconut sugar
1g Agar powder
30g Vegan butter/ Margarine
1. In a saucepan whisk together milk, cornstarch and sugar until there are no lumps.
2. Heat the saucepan on medium heat while stirring constantly.
3. Once the mixture thickens, turn off the heat immediately and stir in the butter.
4. Chill the cream mixture for at least 3 hours.
5. Once thoroughly cooled, blend the cream in a blender until smooth and fluffy.
20 Pandan leaves, cut into pieces
1. Blend pandan leaves with water until it is like a puree.
2. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve to extract the pandan juice. Squeeze the pulp to ensure that all the juice is extracted. Discard the pulp.
Pandan Sponge Ingredients:
110g All Purpose flour/ Spelt flour.
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt.
75g Raw sugar/ Vanilla sugar.
70g Soy milk/ Non-dairy milk.
50g Pandan juice
1/2 tbs Apple cider vinegar.
45g Vegetable oil.
1/2tsp Vanilla extract.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and line another 8 x 8 inch baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
3. In another bowl combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set the mixture aside for 5 mins.
4. Add oil, pandan juice and vanilla extract to the mixture and mix.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just until combined.
6. Pour the batter into the baking tray and bake for 30 mins or until golden brown.
Gula melaka cream
1. Slice the sponge into 4 equal parts.
2. Place a slice on a cake plate, then spread the gula melaka cream evenly on it.
3. Sprinkle with dessicated coconut. Repeat with the rest of the sponge, cream and dessicated coconut.
We hope you like our Vegan Pandan Gula Melaka Cake recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!