Best Vegan Dark Chocolate Pound Cake (Easy & Healthy) | Delia.v Life
Here's a recipe for the Chocolate Lovers - rich, decadent and moist vegan Dark Chocolate Pound Cake with a creamy cashew frosting. The best part? It's made healthy with wholesome ingredients like coconut sugar, whole wheat flour and more! Now we know what you're gonna say - "healthy chocolate cake? Doesn't sound yummy".
This refined sugar free cake may not be sinful but it definitely is super delicious and highly addictive! Part of the reason why it's a healthier choice is because we've substituted some of the oil with apple sauce, which is essentially cooked apple puree.
This recipe is pretty simple and requires only pantry ingredients. If you're still skeptical about the 'healthier' ingredients or simply don't have them on hand, we have also provided substitutes!
Now onto the recipe...
Dark Chocolate Pound Cake:
270 ml Unsweetened soy milk
1 tsp White or Apple Cider Vinegar
150 g Unsweetened Applesauce/ Mashed banana/ Yogurt
80 ml Vegetable oil
1 tsp Vanilla extract
160 g Whole-wheat pastry flour/ All purpose flour
100 g Coconut sugar
50 g Cacao powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Sea salt
2-Ingredients Cashew Frosting 100g Cashew butter/ Your favourite nut butter
Coconut milk as needed
½ tsp Beetroot powder (Optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃ and line a 7 x 3.5 inch baking tin with baking paper.
2. In a beaker, mix the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, applesauce, vegetable oil and vanilla extract until well combined.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to mix it evenly and make a well in the centre of the dry mixture.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just until well combined and there are no large lumps of flour in sight. Do not overmix.
5. Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake at 180℃ for 45 mins then reduce the temperature to 170℃ for another 15-20 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. While the cake is baking, prepare the icing. Add enough coconut milk to thin out the cashew butter to a spreadable consistency. The amount of milk needed depends on the thickness of your nut butter.
7. Stir in beetroot powder if using.
8. Remove cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature before icing and decorating.
We hope you like our vegan wholewheat dark chocolate pound cake recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!