Best Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits - Simple & Fluffy | Delia.v Life
Who doesn't love a warm and flaky cheesy herb biscuit? They're a great addition to the dining table, whether as a side or for tea time. Homemade biscuits come together really quickly and are simple to make. Hence, they're perfect when you're tight on time or craving a quick snack.
Today, we would like to share with you our vegan buttermilk cheese and herb biscuits which packs a punch of flavor! They look absolutely rustic and is so flaky, so fragrant, SO DELICIOUS!
For this recipe, we used the limited edition Chives Cashew Cheese from Happy Cheeze and we're glad we did! They taste so cheesy and we just couldn't have enough of em. You can totally leave the cheese out and add your favourite seasoning if you don't have the cheese on hand and they will still taste amazing! If you're residing in Singapore where we are, you can get Happy Cheeze from Pinki Beans.
Now onto the recipe:
Vegan Cheeze and Herbs Buttermilk Biscuits:
- 50g unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 135g unbleached flour
- 1/2 tbs baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs fresh herbs, minced
- 30g coconut oil, solid
- 75g vegan cheese, chopped
- 60g non-dairy yogurt
- 1/2 tbs unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 tbs coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 235°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Combine apple cider vinegar with soy milk to make vegan buttermilk. Set the mixture aside.
3. In a food processor, add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, herbs and coconut oil. Pulse until a sandy mixture forms.
4. Add in chopped vegan cheese and pulse again.
5. Add in vegan buttermilk and yogurt. Pulse until a rough dough is formed. Take care to not over mix the dough or else you will get tough biscuits!
6. Pop the dough in fridge for around 5 mins while you prepare your vegan glaze.
7. Mix the ingredients for the glaze together. Once that is done, remove the dough from the fridge.
8. Dust the table top with flour and pat the dough until it is about 1.5cm thick (do not use a rolling pin).
9. Then, cut out circles using a cookie cutter. Alternatively, you can do without a cookie cutter by cutting them into triangles like how you would slice a pizza!
10. Brush the tops of the biscuits before baking for 10 mins or until golden brown. Larger biscuits may take 15-20 mins to cook.
***Pro Tip - make an extra big batch and freeze the cut out dough. Then whenever you’re feeling peckish, simply pop the frozen pieces in the oven preheated at 180°C and bake until golden brown (about 10 mins).
We hope you like our vegan buttermilk biscuits recipe! Make sure you subscribe to our Youtube Channel and tag us on Instagram @delia.v.sg if you recreate any of our recipes, we'd love to see your creations!